Pastel Painting Atelier: Essential Lessons in Techniques, Practices, and Materials
- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
- Free Domestic Shipping ($40 minimum)
Revel in the luminous and vibrant qualities of pastel with Ellen Eagle’s essential course in the history, techniques, and practices of the medium.
In this comprehensive yet intimate guide, Eagle explores pastel’s rich but relatively unexamined past, reveals her own personal influences and approaches, and guides you toward the discovery and mastery of your own vision. In Pastel Painting Atelier, you will find.• Advice on basic materials: guidance on building, storing, and organizing a collection of pastels; choosing the right paper; and the importance of experimentation
• Studio practice suggestions: ideas for creating your ideal working environment and recipes for making your own pastels and supports
• Study of the working process: lessons on proportion, gesture, composition, color, application, identifying and correcting problems, and recognizing when a work is finished
• Meditation on subject: cues for extrapolating the subtle details, presence, and temporal features of whatever you choose to paint
• Step-by-step demonstrations: Eagle’s acute insights into her own works as they progress
A magnificent selection of works by masters such as James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Rosalba Carriera, Mary Cassatt, and Eugene Delacroix augment this guide, as do works by contemporary artists including Harvey Dinnerstein, Elizabeth Mowry, and Daniel Massad. Aimed at serious artists, this guide enlightens, instructs, and inspires readers to create brilliant and sensitive works in the historic medium of pastel.